Thursday, February 17, 2011

$120 Pizza and 1 Heck of a Crappy Work Week!

Okay let me now just go off for a minute....this week seriously sucks! I don't think my words will do any of these stories justice. Let me start at the beginning. On Sunday afternoon I came to spend the week at this family's house. I have only ever watched them one other time and it was only for about 6 hours. It was supposed to be 3 1/2 but the mom said her phone died and then she couldn't find her car in the parking lot and then got stuck in traffic...on a week day.....at 11:30 at night. Weird, I swear I have never had all those things happen at once. She came home 2 1/2 hours late and right when she finished telling me that her phone died it started to ring. AMAZING battery to come back from the dead. That had been my only interaction with her until this time. On Thursday of last week she asked me to come stop by so that she could explain to me a few things for the next week. I stopped by and we ran through SOOO many things, many of which I would NEVER need to know (even if she happened go missing or die on her trip). I told her the three most important things that I needed from her. I ask everyone for these three things even if they are only gone for one or two nights. I need a medical release form stating that I, if necessary, am allowed to make medical decisions or take them to the doctor if needed. The other thing would be for her to inform the school that I am going to be with the kids for the week and give me permission to check them in and out of school if, again only if needed, can do so. The third and final thing I need from her would be daily routines typed or written out of the kids schedules with any appointments, activities after school ,bedtime, get up routines, etc...She informed me she would have all of these things done. I show up on Sunday and not ONE of these is done. The house is a total disaster (which is okay but I had to clean a lot of the house before I was able to do anything). Monday went really smoothly and I thought to myself that this week would be one of the easiest ones I have ever had to do. Jeff brought my a card, BEAUTIFUL flowers that were my favorite color and a gift card and stayed the night with me for Valentine's day. Fast forward to Tuesday morning. I wake up to the 11 year old crying and coughing. I had heard her coughing during the night and it kept waking me up and kept her stirring and not sleeping well. I feel her head and she is really warm so I decide to let her stay home. I finally find a thermometer and take her temperature and it's 102.1. I wait a little bit and take it again and it has gone up to 104.4. I start to freak out a little because that is the highest I have ever seen a fever at in person. I know for an 11 year old it is EXTREMELY dangerous. We end up at the Dr.'s office (which was great since I didn't have a medical release form) and we find out she has strep and some really bad case of the flu. Here is where the really fun part begins, she HATES taking medicine. She can swallow pills but refuses to do so. She will not take the chewable kind. We tried the cherry flavored children's liquid Tylenol and she made herself throw up. That was fun! So I run to the store to get grape flavored everything and the next two days we had to fight for about 1-2 hours EVERY freaking time that it was time to take more. By freak out, I mean that she would cry, yell at me, lay on the floor and stomp her feet, I believe that is called a tantrum. This has been one of the worst work weeks in as long as I can remember. Today is Thursday and tomorrow I am done here. It cannot come fast enough. To top all of this off I went to look in my wallet today while I was at the store buying triamentic thin strips that dissolve to see if we had better luck with those, and as I went to pay I realized I was missing a $100 bill. I racked my brain and called Jeff to see if he by chance took it (he LOVES taking money out of my wallet). After he said he didn't have it I remembered the last time I saw it was when I paid for pizza the night before. I paid for it on my debit card but paid the tip in cash. I had 2 $1 bills a $5 bill and $100 bill. I pulled out the 2 $1 bills and thought that wasn't enough so I was going to be generous and give him the $5 also. Maybe I am a bad tipper because I thought $7 was generous for a pizza delivery guy. So I then realized I tipped him $102 because the only thing left in my wallet was $5. I cannot tell you how bummed I was about this. I couldn't decide if I should be a total jerk and call back or just eat the loss. I made the decision to call and try and get it back. I figured if he will be honest and nice I will let him keep $30 of it. Half of the money is not mine though. It was left for me to use this week for the dinner I am about to get. I also have one other major complaint...the 8 year CONSTANTLY lies to me. About everything it seems like. I understand every kid tried that every once in a while but not like this. It is driving me crazy and makes me be a little more mean that I usually am. (Not saying I am usually nice either). I seriously might make a paper chain for the 20 hours I have left and tell the kids what it is for...okay I wouldn't do that. I am not that mean. I might need to be talked of a ledge at some point tonight though. Now that I am done venting, I also must remember we head to paradise in a little more than a week and I am thinking it will be even more fun that I originally thought because of how seriously crappy this week has been. I am sorry if you just wasted all that time reading this and reading how negative I am. I am still wanting kids, I just think we might give them away at the age of 8. :)

6 comments:

  1. You never mentioned if you got your money back. After reading your FB, I assumed you got it back, but I want to hear the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds to me like the parents have serious discipline issues. As in.. they have none!! Sorry it's been such a crappy week. Like you said, your vaca will be that much better now though!! So just focus on that to get through your last day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, you leave in less than a week:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a good story!
    Don't worry, when they are yours it is totally different. You raise them to hate taking pills, or to lie, or to clean up after themselves.
    Think of what amazing parents you are going to be! Of course you want kids! :D
    ps - you should write a book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cortnie, I called and asked them if they knew if the delivery guy said something and called me and brought it back and said he would have brought it back if he knew which house it had come from so I tipped him $30 bucks and kept $70. That still makes it $50 pizza though.
    Kam, thanks I feel like we do but our lives are really not that tough at all
    Casey, you have no idea how many families don't have any discipline. Oh well, I love them regaurdless.
    Rach, I will miss you...if you miss me more than you can handle just comment on facebook and I will write you back when I check my email. :0
    Melanie, you have NO idea I should write a book or atleast document my stories fairly well. Thanks for the comment about us being parents. I thought of you guys the other day because my neighbors just got a brand new baby through adoption. I hope it's your turn soon!!

    ReplyDelete